Covatto Family Dentistry Sleep Apnea Treatments
Serving Beaver and Allegheny County, Covatto Family Dentistry now offer dental solutions for patients that suffer from sleep apnea using the Sleep Group Solutions products and services. Sleep apnea disorder is a chronic condition in which your breathing stops during sleep and throughout the night and affects over 18 million adults.
What are the Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
Many cases go undetected as poor sleep can be attributed to other issues such as; Stress, Alcohol intake and Depression. Untreated Sleep Apnea can cause numerous health problems including high blood pressure, stroke, cardiovascular disease, impotence, and more.
Some of the warning signs of sleep apnea include:
- Frequently waking throughout the night
- Repetitive and Loud, chronic snoring
- Morning headaches or confusion
- Dry mouth or sore throat
- Tiredness, feeling of exhaustion, confusion, irritability, and depression
- Problems with concentrating while performing tasks or operating machinery
- Mood Swings
- Sleepiness during the day or while driving
- Waking up frequently to urinate
There are three different variations of sleep apnea with the most common being:
Obstructive Sleep Apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea occurs when the tongue and lower jaw become so relaxed during sleep they collapse and fall back to block the proper flow of air. Your brain lacking oxygen sends emergency signals to the body to wake up; basically telling you to resume breathing.
Central Sleep Apnea:
- Central sleep apnea occurs when the communication between the brain and your muscles that control your breathing is disrupted.
Complex Sleep Apnea
- Complex sleep apnea syndrome occurs when you have both obstructive and central sleep apnea.
Sleep Apnea Treatments
For years, obstructive sleep apnea was treated with a continuous positive airway pressure machine, also known as the CPAP. This machine connects ta facemask and provides pressurized air to keep airways open. Many patients find sleeping with a CPAP machine uncomfortable.
Sleep Apnea Treatments alternatives:
Research shows that Oral Appliances can provide an effective treatment option for snoring and obstructive sleep apnea.
Dr. Covatto, a trained Dental Sleep Specialist uses the Sleep Group Solution tools, to diagnose your symptoms and prescribe a custom-fitted oral appliance that holds the jaw in place to prevent airway blockages.
Oral appliances (mandibular advancement splints) typically assist in moving the lower jaw forward to keep the airway from closing or collapsing during sleep. Compared to the CPAP, a removable oral appliance offers a number of benefits. Some of the most commonly enjoyed advantages of oral appliance therapy for sleep apnea include:
- No equipment to become entangled with during sleep
- Does not interrupt the sleep of anyone nearby.
- No special equipment is required for the oral appliance.
- Portable, easy to travel with.
- Because it’s custom-fit for your mouth, the oral appliance is more comfortable for a better night’s sleep.
Looking for that better night’s sleep? Call Covatto Family Dentistry to schedule your Sleep Apnea consultation today.